Sites & Program Times
Integrated Preschool will be offered at several elementary schools next year, however the sites are to be determined. Parents will be able to prioritize the schools for placement during the screening process. The days/hours of the program are Monday-Friday 7:30-2:30 or 8:30-3:30.
*Please read the following packet carefully.
Applications are due back to Northfield Elementary School – ATTN: Roxana Dove by Friday, February 24, 2023. Northfield Elementary School is located at 550 W Northfield Blvd. Murfreesboro, TN 37129. They may also be returned via email email@example.com or faxed to 615-898-7158 ATTN: Roxana Dove
The Murfreesboro City Schools Integrated Preschool is a program that offers preschoolers, with and without disabilities, challenging experiences through a language-based curriculum.
Murfreesboro City Schools currently has 11 integrated preschool classrooms located in 5 schools within city limits. These classes are special education classes for children ages 3-5. Peer models are placed at each site to serve as role models and peer helpers to children with special needs. The integrated preschool classroom is a structured teaching environment where special needs children and peer models learn together in a classroom that is staffed with one special education teacher and two education assistants. The interdisciplinary early childhood curriculum aims to synthesize research-based approaches in four domains of learning: mathematics, science, literacy, and social-emotional development. The curriculum consists of 6 units that focus on supporting children’s development in ten comprehensive thinking processes, which are applicable across all four domains: cooperating, comparing/classifying, communication, curiosity, imagination, observing, self-regulation, reasoning/problem solving, making sense, and using tools strategically.
Murfreesboro City Schools cannot provide any special education services to peer models in the preschool program. This includes speech therapy. The peer model application process is not intended for special needs students with a current IEP or for students who have been referred for special education services. This program may not be appropriate for children who have not previously participated in any type of childcare program.
Hours are determined according to each school’s schedule. Times for lunch, snacks and naps will be a part of the child’s daily schedule. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the program and children must be picked up at the designated time. The Extended School Program (ESP) is available for typical peers.
To be accepted as a peer model, the following criteria must be met:
• Children must be 4 years of age, but not yet 5 by August 15, 2023. Children who are 5 on or before August 15, 2023 are eligible for kindergarten and are not appropriate for the integrated preschool class.
• Children must be completely toilet trained in order to be considered as a peer model.
• Children must speak clearly and be easily understood in order to model appropriate speech and language as a peer model.
• All peer models must score in the average range on the developmental screening conducted by our staff. Children are screened for age-appropriate developmental and school readiness skills. These screenings will take place Tuesday, March 7th from 1:00-5:00 PM, Thursday, March 9th from 3:00 – 5:00 PM, and Saturday March 11th from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM.
After the completed application is turned in by the due date, it is mandatory that an appointment for screening be made through the Sign-up Genius website. A link will be emailed to you when the application is received. All screenings will take place at Northfield Elementary School. Your application MUST be submitted before you sign-up for a screening appointment.
Guidelines for the Preschool Program:
• Daily attendance is required.
• Parents must have their children at the program on time and pick them up at the designated time. Before and after school care are available for typical peer models.
• The Tennessee Health Record Form is required for all children documenting their immunization history. A copy of the child’s certified birth certificate is also required and will need to be presented at the time of enrollment.
• If at any time it becomes evident that this is not an appropriate setting for a child, the parent will be asked to remove him/her from the program.
• After the initial adjustment period, the child may be removed from the program if they demonstrate a pattern of inappropriate behaviors. Inappropriate behaviors may include the following, but not limited to:
Pushing Throwing items
Verbal or physical aggression toward peers or adults
Non-compliance with adult directives
Derogatory language toward peers or adults
Refusal to interact with another child
Refusal to participate in required activities
Refusal to go to time-out without assistance
Inappropriate behaviors will be documented. If a pattern becomes evident, parents will be provided with documentation of these behaviors.
• There will be a $300.00/month cost for attendance as a peer model in the integrated preschool program to offset the costs throughout the year. The fee is due to the school by the 1th of each month. Also, the fee may be paid by semester or for the entire school year. The first fee is due at the time of enrollment.
• Additional costs for the program could include daily breakfast and lunch as well
as fees for special field trips and activities as they occur throughout the year.